![]() |
| Artwork I made in my Drawing III class at Stout |
I had blood clots in my lungs in May of 2011 (right before my 21st birthday) and was put on Coumadin therapy for 9 months due to the size and quantity of blood clots in both lungs. During that last month I noticed a red, sore, warm spot on my left calf. I hadn't bumped it or ran into anything, it just began hurting. I was nervous it was another blood clot, knowing and understanding the symptoms of one. I went to the ER, scared, even though I was still on blood thinners. Luckily they told me it was a deep bruise caused by being on the blood thinners and advised me to let it run its course, elevate and ice. So I did.
When the 9 months of Coumadin therapy was up, I was able to go off of blood thinners and I was so happy! The doctors knew about my bruise on my leg and figured it was because my blood was very thin that month. With my blood at a 4.1 INR I was about 4 times thinner than a normal person, which is at 1.0. They still advised me to go off of my blood thinners, and wanted me to come back in 7 days to have some genetic testing done that we couldn't do while I was on the Coumadin (due to interactions).
![]() |
| Visit andreagretzinger.weebly.com to see more of my art portfolio |
While playing volleyball the bruise started to show up and my leg started to swell. By the end of the day I couldn't walk. I couldn't walk for about 2.5 weeks and was on crutches thanks to one of my roommates letting me borrow them to get around! (View video below to see the entire process of this leg wound!)
At times I didn't know how I would get through it, but 14 months of wound therapy and a TON of doctor and specialist appointments later, I have a knarly scar and and a better relationship with God. He has gotten me through all of this and constantly gave me the strength and courage I needed. When I didn't have that strength or courage, He showed Himself through my friends and family and all of their support and love. I never did thank all of those people as much as I wish I had. They were angels.
Viewer discretion is advised!!!! If you can't watch a surgery on a TV show without getting nauseous, I highly suggest not watching the video. It's a slideshow of every photo I ever took of my leg (which was basically every time I changed the bandages). Also, full screen viewing of this video will highly diminish the quality of photos, they were from my old, non-smartphone.
My wound therapists said this started as "A textbook leather eschar" and have
used me as an example at a lot of their conventions and presentations.
During the healing process they told me that I had no epidermis left and was down to the adipose tissue (the fatty layer before your muscles). If you have gone through, or are going through anything like this,
please contact me! I haven't heard of anyone else going through anything even similar!


No comments:
Post a Comment