> Project Jubilation: Grandma Doris's story

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Grandma Doris's story

For breast cancer awareness month, I wanted to start my blog series with a post about my grandmother.

My Grandma Doris is an amazing woman. She was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was much younger. I didn't get the chance to really understand what was going on, so I sent her an e-mail, caught up with her, and she told me a little about her story.  She was very humble and even though her story is a happy story, and a short battle with cancer, she is still a cancer survivor.

In Grandma's own words, "I'm not sure just what kind of a 'story' my own experiences breast cancer thing might tell.  Others have gone through so very much more devastating cancer situations than I did.   I've always felt that I was extremely fortunate in that my DCIS - Ductal Carcinoma In Situ -
was considered "low grade" and had not spread further into any of the surrounding cells.  While some cells were affected with the cancer, others in the area were not."

My Grandpa Ted, Grandma Doris and myself.
After she found a lump in her left breast, she was referred to a wonderful woman doctor who did a lumpectomy. The pathology report found that she had a Low Grade Ductal Carcinoma Incitu. The doctor perscribed treatment to be done in three phases, diagnosis, surgical and an adjustment therapy to lessen the further possibility of recurrance. Part of the adjustment therapy would have been Chemo, but luckily, she did not need that! Instead, she had a partial mastectomy or lumpectomy that was folowed with 30 daily treatments of radiation and some anti-hormonal therapy for five years. Grandma stopped taking the anti-hormonal therapy after three years because she did not like the possible side effects that could happen.

 "During that whole time, I truly tried to keep a very positive attitude.  I felt very confident that God was watching over me and that it just was not yet my time."

Grandma didn't think that she truly had a "story" to tell other people. She simply felt that her experience made her more aware of the disease, and it increased her empathy and support to both men and women who experience breast cancer.

I definitely think that my Grandma has an amazing story. It is inspirational because she was not a person who was diagnosed as a terminally ill patient. She simply had a cancer, utilized the treatments for that cancer, and hasn't had to deal with breast cancer again. She did however have a spot of skin cancer a few years back but luckily that was also caught early on.

Grandma Doris is a very strong woman. She is always thinking of others. Even in the midst of me asking about her cancer experience, she made sure to tell me that many others have had it much worse and that her story was not nearly as important compared to those who it affects more harshly. She also supported her Aunt Eleanor to help crochet lap blankets and slippers for women recovering from the effects of chemo and radiation treatments. I must say, all of my creative talent is thanks to her! She is the woman I get it from!

I hope by sharing my Grandma's story, you will realize that not all cancer is a deadly diagnosis. (Even though other cancers really come across that way) Her story allows us to know that early detection and prevention is the best fight we have against it. Right now we do not have a cure, but with the funds being raised around the world, we will!!

To conclude this story, I want to make sure to tell you that I do not think of Grandma Doris as "My grandma who survived cancer". I just think of her as "Grandma". She is an amazing woman who is not defined by her health. She is better defined by her caring heart, her contagious laugh, smile lines (she smiles a lot, but how could you not with such an amazing family like we have!) and her ability to stay positive and humble in all situations. Even if I tell you that I get all of my talent from her, she would be sure to tell you that she is not solely responsible for that... but she is :) Love you!


Please let me know about experiences you have had regarding breast cancer or other cancers, I would love to include your journey! Stay posted for another inspiring story soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment