> Project Jubilation: Artist Emulation

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Artist Emulation

For an assignment in my painting class I have to do an emulation project. I don't copy an artist's work, I emulate it by making it my own, but having it look like it is their style. We are to choose a painter whose style we want to paint like - and I thought this blog would be a good place to share this information! I am really interested in painting, and not sure if I want it to be my concentration for graduation at all.... it makes me so nervous to declare my concentration in my art ed program. It's either drawing or painting or ceramics! We'll see after this summer, no need to declare yet, I still need to take a few intro classes and I can decide before next spring! Anyways, the artist I chose was on my top 10 list (see it in a previous post of my top 10 favorite artists) and her name is Karen Jacobs. I encourage you to look at her work! This is the general style that I will be emulating, and hopefully running with over the summer. And yes, mine will be based on her abstracted landscapes, a series I hope to begin of my own. (With my own twist of course!!)

Here are a few links:
Interview with the artist
Personal Website
While looking at Karen's work, I also found a few more contemporary artists and older masters that were worth mentioning:

Kathy Casey
Richard Diebenkorn
Jasper Johns
Alex Kanevsky

No comments:

Post a Comment