> Project Jubilation: Major Loving.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Major Loving.

I created this word cloud at wordle.net!
This is probably the most nerdy post you will ever read of mine, but I am in love with my major. Art Education at UW Stout is by far the best decision for me. Tonight I was a part of the Program Advisory Committee and attended a bi-annual meeting to discuss how we can improve our program. In the past, the art education program has been looked down upon due to unorganized leadership by the program directors. However, last year we were lucky enough to get an advisor and director that takes a lot of pride in our major, and in our lives. It's definitely one thing that inspires the rest of us to do our best and take our major seriously as well.
Our art education program has the most credits required in the entire state, and is nationally recognized for the integration of arts into the program. I think its a great professional option for many creative people, even if all of these budget cuts are happening. One thing that I believe in is creativity and problem solving. Where else do students learn to think outside of the box, to use fine motor skills and to express themselves in a general education classroom? The arts teach valuable life skills like critical thinking, problem solving and creativity. The difference between a brilliant scientist and an average scientist is the ability to think outside of the box and to go above and beyond to test the limits. What is art if it is not pushing the limits? At least the practical applications, like drawing, brainstorming and using fine motor skills to articulate an idea are very important to possess in order to be an outstanding professional. Let's not get into abstract ideas or purely conceptual art, although they do have a purpose in thought processes. It is a much needed skill that students everywhere should have a chance to learn and I can't wait to teach it!

I created this photo collage for an education course
I wanted to share the link to the facebook page that I keep updated for the major, as well as show you some posters that we put up around campus. Our program director created the below posters for us! I almost wish I was a freshman so I could experience this feeling of motivation throughout me whole career, instead of just the last two years of it. But in retrospect, maybe I appreciate all of the new stuff even more because I know how much better it is! Anyways, I cannot wait to have my own classroom. Gah, it's getting closer! I apply for student teaching placement next semester, and take my final Benchmark interview before student teaching. I'm growing up and I LOVE IT. Major Loving.







No comments:

Post a Comment