> Project Jubilation: Ready, Set... Here it goes. Really.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ready, Set... Here it goes. Really.

So, after talking it over with my family, and getting a little more info on the pros and cons about starting this new adventure of mine, I've come to a decision.

PROS:
  • gaining small business experience
  • gain artistic independence
  • putting in hard work
  • a learning experience
  • making some money through something I love doing
  • using/gaining problem solving skills
  • having FUN
  • putting things out there that I would want to buy at a show
  • finding my artistic voice
CONS
  • costs money to start
  • takes a lot of time in creating/going to the show etc
  • um....hard work!!
  • the possibility of major failure/no sales
  • I have a lot to learn
  • I'm scared as...... well just scared.

So weighing both sides... I'm going to tackle this thing. I'm going to enter and sell my art this summer and next summer. Next summer is my deadline to enter a show. This summer is my deadline to create and sell my fine art and increase my inventory. By August 2012, I will have entered one local art show and I will be prepared for it....really, I will.

Step 1: Brainstorm unique ideas
Step 2: Create my work
Step 3: Ummmm.... I'll get back to you on the rest.

All I know is that I have to get information on the craft show I want to enter, go check it out this summer to compare what my work is to what is already there. I need to create enough work and market myself and my work. I need to look up regulations for the show, (if I need to collect tax, how much money it will take me to rent a spot, where I'm going to get my display things and so on). I also need to know how I want my art to look and feel to the viewer, and what my voice is as an artist. That's the part I'm most excited for... the whole finding my voice thing.

I've actually brainstormed some ideas of what I will possibly create:
  • paintings on panel
  • paintings on paper
  • charcoal/chalk pastel drawings
  • refurbished antique/old shelves/wooden items
  • refurbished frames for my artwork to be displayed in
  • hand painted personal journals, recipe journals and wine journals
  • hand painted book marks
  • hand painted wine glasses and shot glasses
  • hand thrown stoneware (if I can get my hands on a ceramics wheel and availability to a kiln!)
  • bead and hemp work around glass bottles/jars
  • refurbished jewelry boxes/hand made jewelry boxes
  • jewelry/necklaces/bracelets/rings out of found metal objects/earrings
  • bottle cap crafts (key chains, jewelry etc)
  • scrabble letter crafts (jewelry/decor/etc)
  • hand made magnets

I'm most excited for this summer when I just get to make stuff! I have a lot of materials already from being an art student, so the whole buying new materials shouldn't be a horrible experience. I'm pretty good at bargain hunting! Now.... the next step is to make sure I have a summer job locked down... That should be switched to step #1. For sure.

P.S. Happy Birthday Dad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment